Sunday, December 5, 2010

A fun night of music and friends, etc

Saturday night was a blast, and it was nice to get together with people, without having an agenda.

The owners of Jellybean AutoCrafters & Customs invited Richard, a friend of mine, to put together an acoustic duo, and provide musical entertainment for a customer appreciation Open House. Richard thought of the best musician he knew personally, but Paul McCartney was unavailable, so he asked me instead. As you may know, I play guitar, but I do not sing:)

We (I mean “I”) came up with a list of songs that would be suitable for such an occasion – none of them Christmas songs. Okay, he came up with some too, all of them by the Beatles. I am not a big fan of the Beatles, but their songs are pretty easy to play, and when accompanied by the cool harmonies … well, they are easy enough to play … let’s stick with that :)

Anyways, we practiced – twice– and I practiced many more times (I hope he did too). We got together Saturday afternoon to set up the sound system and go through the sets, which we had never done; which we had also reorganized on the fly. About that … songs in keys that are high are not sung well by a guy who’s feeling under the weather, and Richard was feeling under the weather. But we made it work, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. The business owner asked us if we were interested in doing it again, and how much we would charge, Stefani, the generous person that she is, offered our services for free. It’s no wonder I am not making it as a professional musician; that, and no band, no practicing, no commitment, no jam space, etc etc :)

So, maybe we’ll do more, I hope so. It’s fun getting all the songs together and practicing and practicing, but only doing it once? Just think if U2 (yes, I am comparing our situation to theirs! Why not?) practiced for a year, only to do one concert. Okay, not all that similar, sorry, bad example :)

At any rate, here are some pictures of us having fun.

Enjoy.

DSCF1470

Me and Richard

DSCF1474

Me, Richard, and Carson (whom we stole from bartending the event)

DSCF1472

A project that the Jelly-beaners are working on – one of many

2 comments:

  1. I agree for the most part I enjoyed it as well, if I was at 100% health I would have been much much better. For that I apologize. I know in my heart that I would have had no problem singing to my best ability. I really hope we can do it again soon!!

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug. Thanks for the exelent job. We've had great feedback about the music. Hope we can do it again. Wishing you and Stefani the best this christmas.
    Kurt

    ReplyDelete