Saturday, January 29, 2011

What is a “Better Christian” anyways?

A friend was telling me tonight how he used to go to church, but stopped after they got a new pastor. During a service, the pastor set up 3 chairs on the stage, and proceeded to point out the best Christians in the church. I told my friend that if I was there, I would have demanded the pastor step down immediately, and I would have suggested a public stoning out back (with real rocks – not the other kind of “stoned”)

Maybe this seems drastic, but isn’t that what they did to heretics? What did he mean by the “best” Christians? Whose criteria did he use? What was his yardstick, and who the heck gave HIM the authority to chose?

I remember in the Jake Colson book, when Jake and John were standing at the back of the church talking about the Sunday school class, and how we have this set of standards that we use to judge how “Christian” the kids are. That is sad.

I suggested the book to my friend and his wife. They seem to be a little hurt by the church thing, and maybe a little bitter, so I hope it helps. She felt bad talking with us because she was “backslidden” and I asked here what made her say that. The things she came up with, well, I guess I am backslidden too :) Made her feel a lot better that we didn’t judge her relationship.

Don’t let people judge you. Look into your own heart. See for yourself what your relationship with Father is. Who is He to you? Only then can you really be a “better” Christian, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment