Thursday, September 1, 2011

Getting Better?

July 29th was my first pain-filled blog.

I have been dealing with this back pain for 5 weeks ... seems a lot longer, yet again, it seems like yesterday. No, it doesn't, it seems a lot longer.

The most debilitating part of this ordeal has been the neuropathy, or nerve pain, or phantom pain caused by the pinched nerve in my back. It has caused my left foot and leg to be virtually useless, and I can tell you without a doubt, there is nothing "phantom" about this pain! It is the same pain felt by people who lose a limb, and it really hurts!

On Monday of this week, I went in for what was supposed to be an epidural cortisone injection. This is supposedly the best way to relieve some of the nerve pains in my leg and foot. Well, as to be expected, the doctor was not prepared for this, and thought I was there for a surgery consult. Once we started talking about the pain, and the vacation coming up, etc, he realized he had to do something. Apparently there is a lot of politicking going on in the hospital between surgeons, anesthetists, and administration. The equipment that is needed for the epidural process takes weeks to get, if the surgeon can get it at all. Not to worry, the doc says, let's try this instead. What, I asked, are we "trying"? Cortisone? Lydocaine? Yes, he says ... okay... He gave me a shot, and said it would take 2-3 days, but I should start to feel some relief soon.

Yesterday was 2 days, and I could have argued with him. Didn't really seem a lot better, but this morning I got up for my 3AM pill and bathroom break, and I walked to the bathroom without the use of a walker! And again at 7AM! Today, I have been sitting on my arse, just like every other day, and I feel pretty good. The "pain" in my foot has subsided considerably, and I am able to walk, with a very pronounced limp, and very tenderly. I felt so good, in fact, that I considered walking to Subway for lunch. No, just kidding ... I am not THAT daft!

So, on July 29th, as well as on August 5th, and every day in between and since, I have been crying out to God for some sort of healing. I guess He has chosen to use medicine and science :) I am okay with that, and I chose to give Him the glory.

So, there ya have it. Today is a good day. This evening, I plan on going out the the beach with my wonderful supportive wife, if she wants to. She can push - I am riding :)

1 comment:

  1. glad that today is a better day than days past! I can't imagine the pain that you're in- but I see what Tim is like when his back starts to hurt due to degenerative disks and it's not pretty! I hope things start to heal for you soon and that you find some relief!!

    ReplyDelete