Friday, October 7, 2011

The Days Go By

We are back from a long vacation. Hmm ... sounds like an intro to some words of wisdom ... sorry, might not happen :)

Anyways, the vacation. For those of you following along with the Facebook and Blog posts of Stefani and me, we have just returned home from a 3 week vacation that included a 15 night Panama cruise. I won't go into the actual vacation; that is all on a different blog, but in a previous post I spoke about some of my worries and fears in regards to the management of my pain during this vacation. I want to say that all went fairly well. There were a few moments that did not go well, but in all, the vacation was not hampered (much). Stefani had a relaxing time, not having to take care of me too much. The others that we were with helped out (thanks guys!). As the days rolled on, I found myself using the wheelchair less and less, and doing more things on my own with the walker, and sometimes even without!

Today I went to see my back surgeon, and he gave me some good news and some bad news. The bad news is, I will never have the back of a 21 year old. The good news is that so far he would rather not put me through surgery, as I seem to be getting better. Hear that? I am getting better! Admittedly, I feel better, too. There are certainly times that I am really sore, and would rather not try moving, but those times are becoming more few and far between. Most of the time I am quite able to get around, slowly, with the support of my walker. Sometimes, I even go without! Usually only in the house, though. The doc says to start getting into more movement exercises, and suggested Pilates or Yoga. Ha ha! Can you see me doing Pilates? Even my family doctor wants pictures of that! LOL

So, slowly, maybe we will see how things go. I find that too much too fast hurts a lot, and causes shooting "pain" in my foot. So, slow and steady wins the race, I guess. I did promise Stefani that I would try and do more around the house, like the old days. I was cleaning in the kitchen this afternoon, and she said how it was nice to hear me in there. Well, it is nice to be able to :)

Let's see what the next weeks bring ...

No comments:

Post a Comment