Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Merry Christmas! Happy Thanksgiving!

For what seems like the first time in a couple of years or more, I am actually feeling a little festive, and looking forward to Christmas!  I have been decorating a little bit at work, and even got to buy a few new decorations, since the resident rat ruined all the old tacky ones Smile   At work, I have also been stamping, signing, and stuffing Christmas cards for the last few days, and I believe I have that all under control, with about a hundred Christmas cards ready to mail.  Now, if it would only snow, it would feel like it really IS Christmas!  LOL

Wreath_-_Advent_3On Sunday, we celebrated First Advent.  At some churches, First Advent (and second to fourth advents) is celebrated each week by the lighting of a candle, until the fifth week(Christmas) candle is lit.  We didn’t celebrate it at a church, we celebrated it at Stefani’s parents’ house (like every year).  And we didn’t light a candle, we got gifts  Smile  Every year, for a few years now, maybe as long as I can remember (?) Stef’s parents have given gifts to all the kids for First Advent, kind of like a pre-Christmas thing.  This year was no exception.  They put out a few boxes of typical things that you would buy at Costco:  flash lights, tape measures, hammers, screw drivers, dried nuts, dried fruit, syrup, jam, chocolate, cheese, socks, gloves, etc.  Each of us takes a turn picking something from the box, until we have each had a four or five turns.  This year, Dave and Monica and the kids couldn’t make it out, so I set up Skype on the laptop and they joined us virtually.  As always, it was a lot of fun!

So, Thanksgiving just passed us, for those of us that are from the U.S. of A (or want to be).  I know I likely blogged or something about it on the Canadian Thanksgiving, but it’s by blog, so I will do it again.

This year, as with every year, I have a lot to be thankful for.  But especially this year.  My health has improved drastically.  While not every day is pain-free, there are many days that I take one or two Tylenol, along with my regular nerve (not pain)meds. Some days I go totally without, because the pain just isn’t that bad.  I am going for short walks (almost) every day, I am doing Yoga once a week (plus some stretching at home), and I am working around the house and at work to my almost full strength.  That is a lot to be thankful for.  And thanks too for all the prayers; I felt it.  Keep them coming, and maybe we will see a full and complete healing!

For the next few weeks, people are getting to be more and more busy.  Please try and remember WHY we are busy.  This year, take some time out to chill with a friend, maybe someone that you just met, or someone you don’t get together with all the time.  Buy them a coffee, talk about nothing, and bless each other, like we are supposed to every day.

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment