Sunday, December 25, 2011

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time

Christmas 2011

It's the afternoon of Christmas, December 25th, 2011.  It has been an interesting year ... but that is for another blog.

I used to have a friends that I would call every year on Christmas day; I won't say his name, but it sounds like Jim  :)  I called him other times of the year, too, and we went out and did stuff, like real friends used to do, before social networking involved computers and the Internet.  But especially on Christmas day, I would phone him and we would compare what we got for presents, what we had for breakfast, what we were having for dinner, and maybe discuss what time we were getting together on Boxing Day.  He was truly my best friend, and remained as such until Stefani and I had been married for a few years.

We lost touch.  After I got married, it was difficult for him to relate to me as a married guy, since we had spent so much time together as single horn-balls, checking out all the girls.  After I got married, he thought that was still cool ... Stefani disagreed  :)  So, we started to drift apart.  Then he got into a serious relationship, and we thought maybe we could start hanging out together again, but as couples, we were not really compatible.  Or maybe we just couldn't get along with his new friend ... anyways, they got hitched, had kids, moved away ... all the things that happen when friends drift apart.

Did I think that we would remain friends forever?  No, I don't think I was ever that naive; but I do miss him.  Maybe it isn't so much the "him" that I miss, but having someone like him in my life was well, kinda cool.  Someone that you could call up and say, dude, let's go for coffee, or grab a movie, or just hang out.  With the wives, without the wives, whatever.  Ya, I miss that.

Throughout my life there have been many Jims, Richards, Aldens, Kevins, etc.  It makes me wonder if I did something wrong.  Did I do something or say something that chased them away?  Yes, in some cases, I did, I know that, and I am sorry.  But in others, it seems like life just kept on moving; forward, sideways, backward ... who knows.  Makes me wonder sometimes if that kind of friendship is just not meant for me...

I have some wonderful friends, and some wonderful people in my life.  Maybe I am just feeling a little nostalgic ... seems to be happening more and more with me lately.

Johnny Cash sings a cool song.  I know it was Beatles that did it originally, but since I am a Cash fan, and not a bug fan, I prefer to credit the Man in Black.

There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends, I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers

There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection

For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I'll love you more
Kind of sums it up for me.

Merry Christmas everyone!

(P.S. Hey Jim!  Whatja get for Chritsmas?)

No comments:

Post a Comment